Sunday, 17 May 2015

Princess Round Up

On Tuesday 12th of May I became a princess for the second year running. Last year I dressed up as Sleeping Beauty however this year I wanted to do something a bit different because I'm not really a princessy type. Luckily for me, there are lots of different kick-ass princesses out there to choose from and after a bit of research I settled on turning myself into She-ra Princess of Power. 

In order to put a bit of an M.E perspective on this, as usual I had to plan and pace in order to achieve this magical transformation. My outfit was ordered well in advance and my justgiving page set up a few weeks before it was needed. I also planned a photo shoot for the Sunday before M.E Awareness Day because I knew I would not have the energy for it on the actual day, what with having to post all the photos and links to my fundraising online. I spent a mere 20 minutes in my garden posing for photos, waving my sword around. It took me the rest of Sunday and all of Monday to recover, and I still have a painful, frozen shoulder a week later. On the day itself I donned my outfit again and decorated the outside of my house with balloons and leaflets.

With all the excitement and exertion it's been quite a tough and painful week for me and my body. This is something I have in common with my other fundraising friends. We are all quite ill and yet we do what we can because if we don't, no one else will. It's for this reason that raising awareness for M.E is such a slow process. We simply aren't able to make a huge fuss. We are too ill for marathons or jumble sales. We spend the limited energy we have and suffer the consequences afterwards. For us it's very worthwhile because little by little we are starting to make a difference. We are starting to see a change in attitudes towards people with M.E, not just within our own friends and family but also in the media and the medical profession. We still have a long way to go but will definitely get there.

She-Ra Selfie

As for me I very much enjoyed my day as a princess. I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has supported me, not just for M.E Awareness Day but over the last few years of being ill. I have had tremendous support for my family and close friends. There are also my 'virtual' friends, many of whom suffer with chronic illness themselves yet still manage to spare a pound or two out of their disability benefit. Even though I have not met most of these people in person, they mean a great deal to me and I feel honoured to count so many wonderful people as my friends. I am also very touched to have received so many donations from old friends from school or college, most of whom I haven't seen for a good twenty years. It is all extremely appreciated. 

Unfortunately, the response from some areas has been distinctly underwhelming. I know this is something other princesses and fundraisers have found as well. It's quite disheartening to know that people who know you well are not even prepared to spare a pound despite seeing how much your life has been affected by an illness that is desperately under-researched. I won't dwell on the negatives though, other than to say there is still time to donate! My justgiving page is active for around another week and I am very, very close to raising £900. It would be great if I could manage the last £15 needed. All it takes is 15 kind people to donate a pound each by texting MPIX75 £1 to 70070. It really is that easy!

So back to the positives. Almost £900 raised on my justgiving page, over £5000 in total raised by all of Team Princess. A phenomenal achievement! Thank you to each and every one of you that donated, thank you to every person who retweeted or shared my posts, thank you to everyone who has taken time to read my blog and learn more about M.E. You make it all worthwhile and you make this princess a very happy one. Thank you for helping me get nearer to achieving my happy ever after.

All that's left to say is here I am in all my She-ra glory! Hope you enjoy the photos. 

Me and my balloons.
Luckily my sword didn't pop any!


Representing Action for ME
She-Ra, Princess of Power
It's like we're twins! XD  


Ready to Rumble!


The reason why I couldn't move my arm for best part of a week.....




No comments:

Post a Comment