Sunday, 22 March 2015

Milestone #2

Earlier today I got my good man to drive me to Alexandra Park so that I could enjoy the view in the glorious sunshine. Not a milestone in itself as I have managed to do this two or three times in the last year however today's trip was slightly different. It was the first time I'd been there since being awarded my blue badge. This meant that we could park in the disabled space next to the viewing point, only a very short walk from the benches, so I didn't need to take my wheelchair.

Me doing my best 'normal person' impression at Alexandra Park
I had my trusty walking stick to help me travel the few paces to where we sat and it felt really good to be unhindered by metal and wheels. People look at you differently when you're being pushed around at ground level - you can almost hear the cogs whirring as they try to deduce whether your disability is physical or mental. Often they're afraid to speak to you in case it's the later, heaving an almost audible sigh of relief when you open your mouth and they realise that you actually are able to string a sentence together. Admittedly, my dress sense doesn't help. Squirrowl hats and fat bee coats do make me look a little peculiar, as do the fairy lights on my wheelchair. Lucky really, that I'm sat on my magnificent personalised livery (thank you Hoggit!) - if they saw 'Princess Charlotte's chariot' emblazoned across my seat cover then they'd definitely assume I was a few sandwiches short of a picnic. 

Anyway, it was great to get out for a bit of fresh air and, apart from the walking stick and the ear plugs, I could have passed for a healthy version of myself. Here's looking forward to the day when I don't need those either.

No comments:

Post a Comment