Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Milestone #1

I've decided I need to start blogging about all the little milestones I pass as my health starts to improve, more so for my own record than for anything else. Nothing fancy, just a quick note and a photo to mark each occasion to celebrate. When you have a chronic illness any reason, no matter how small, is reason enough to get the bunting out.


So here is a fairly innocuous-looking photo taken from my front step. Not much to get excited about? Think again. 

For the first time in probably 2 years or more, I managed to walk (avec le stick) to the end of my road - symbolised here by the orangey glow of the streetlight, a literal light at the end of the tunnel. It's not far, just a few metres really but until today I had only got as far as halfway before summoning my chauffeur-driven wheelchair to carry me the rest of my journey. 

For some reason today, I wasn't really paying attention to how far I had walked. Too busy chatting I suppose. I looked down and saw I had reached the drain cover marking my halfway point. For a split second I faltered, ready to call on Mr Mook and my chariot. But no. Sod it, I thought. I'm going to walk TO THE END OF THE ROAD!!! 

And I bloody well did!

I'm paying for it now but it was worth it to tick off another goal on my growing list of exciting adventures.

2 comments: