Monday, 8 December 2014

Enfantillages (these childish things)

I may be pushing 40 but since I have become chronically ill I have found myself regressing into childhood somewhat. An example of this is the reappearance of cuddly toys.

I've always kept a couple of choice favourites from my childhood. They have spent many years growing dusty on a shelf however spending many a bleak night in pain and unable to sleep has meant I have brushed off the dust as what better way to deal with Painsomnia than by cuddling a furry friend?

So dear old Shiny has become my saviour yet again. Years of cuddling has given him his curved posture and the fact he looks as miserable as I feel on these nights makes me feel even more comforted. It's as if Shiny knows my pain and cuddling him close has been a great comfort to me despite the fact I'm supposedly a grown-up.

Me and Shiny on a pain day.

In fact, Shiny has become such a comfort to me when the pain is high and morale is low that the unthinkable is happening. Shiny is beginning to wear out. There's a small hole developing in one of his seams - nothing major and perfectly fixable but he is also starting to get floppy. All my life I have had Shiny by my side. He has always been a lovely firm chunk of fur to hug in times of need but now his arms and legs are getting a little loose. I cannot let Shiny deteriorate - he has been too much of a faithful friend to suffer like this. I have had to face facts that Shiny has to retire! 

Luckily, I have some amazing friends who like to surprise me from time to time with gifts to brighten up my day. Last week I was fortunate enough to receive a parcel that helped to solve this problem. Meet Bunbury, sent to me by the lovely (and naughty) Helen. It's early days but I can already tell that Bunbury is going to be as naughty as the lady who sent him but I'll tell you more about that another time......... 

It was love at first cuddle!

2 comments:

  1. Awh look at him! Shiny looks like hes been loved very much. I'm 24 and although tried to put my beloved bear Wobbly to one side the ME has made me want to cuddle him more too! I've had him since I was two and he's now missing an eye and he can't sit up on his own! He's a sorry state so I think I need to get myself a replacement cuddle teddy so I don't wear him out even more!
    I hope you feel as well as possible Charlotte.

    Emma Xx

    www.emmaslookingglass.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma, it really helps having a warm and cuddly friend to hug on rough days. I recommend Jellycat as they do an amazing range of animals and they are so soft and lovely! :-)

      Delete