Wednesday, 14 May 2014

About ME

The wonderful Sally Burch came up with the idea of launching a 'blog bomb' to coincide with M.E Awareness Day on May 12th. I thought I'd save spoons by combining it with a post for the fantastic Louise Bibby's blog chain. I'm a little late to the party but that's M.E for you. All the effort of raising money for Invest in M.E left me pretty shattered and it's taken til now to semi-recover but as the saying goes, better late than never!
  

About ME......

What is your name and how long have you had ME/CFS?

I'm Charlotte and I have been ill since August 2011.

Where do you live?


I live in Bath.


Age (if you're willing to share)


38.


Tell us 5 things about you that the people in your life probably don't know (non-illness related):


1. In my youth I have won certificates for flower arranging, embroidery and making the most cups of tea in a week. Rock n Roll.

2. Previous career choices (before becoming a professional ill person) include teacher, skateboard shop manager and website administrator. 

3. I have my belly button pierced and a tattoo on my left foot.

4. I seem to hate foods that begin with 'b' - bananas, Brussel sprouts, baked beans.......

5. I am a complete geek. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, computer games - these things make me happy. :-)


Tell us 5 things about you that the people in your life probably don't know about your life with CFS/ME:


1. I first got ill three days after I came back from my honeymoon (coincidentally my birthday too - oh joy....) and have spent my entire married life ill. I have a very understanding husband thankfully. It's possible I'm allergic to marriage.

2. I rarely get tired - I have a load of other symptoms that come first and leave me heading back to bed. The pain and headaches are the worst.

3. Being ill has made me a better person and helped me to appreciate the good things in my life.

4. I have been housebound now for best part of a year. I don't really mind these days. I'd rather have a week of being able to cope at home than an hour or two out of the house followed by a week in bed recovering.

5. I hate feeling so ill all the time and life is very tough when you are in constant pain or discomfort but bizarrely I am happier overall now than when I was healthy and active. I find it hard to recognise the person I was back then - all she ever did was work and think about work. In hindsight it was a pretty miserable existence. 


What one thing do you think most people wouldn't know about living with ME/CFS that you'd like them to know?


That any stimulus, be it physical, mental, emotional or sensory makes me worse. Everything other than resting quietly with eyes closed has a detrimental and energy sapping effect on me - even sitting in the sun for ten minutes or having a short conversation.


What is the most frustrating aspect for you of living with ME/CFS?


That no-one seems to get it or even make an attempt to understand. Really ill people are left isolated and forgotten by the world and nothing is done about it by the mainstream media or the medical profession. Many friends and family turn a blind eye because of misinformation and confusion. We are left to raise funds for our own research despite being too poorly to manage the most simple of everyday tasks. This has to stop!


Contact details (if you want to give them) - blog, Twitter, FB etc
Twitter@mookpixie

Any other bloggers who want to join in the blog chain, please copy this and fill in your own answers. Then email Louise@GetUpAndGoGuru.com or send Louise a Tweet so she can link to your blog post in her original post. 

You can check out all the other blogs taking part in #may12thBlogbomb here: http://sallyjustme.blogspot.com/2014/05/May12BlogBombLinks.html 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for helping raise awareness by participating in the #May12BlogBomb.
    Over 100 posts resulted, and links to the others can be found here: http://sallyjustme.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/May12BlogBombLinks.html

    Perhaps we’ll try this all again next year!

    ReplyDelete